OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
- The Good Place
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Russian Doll
- Schitt’s Creek
I love this group of nominees, for one thing. Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory have been vanquished, and there’s no bad show in the mix (welcome, The Good Place!). The one thing I think I can say is that it’s not going to be Mrs. Maisel again. The most straightforward prediction is to think voters will simply rubber-stamp Veep one more time for its final season, turning the evening into big HBO farewell fest. But the noise around Fleabag has been so loud, so rapturous, and so sustained, that I’m crossing my fingers that that translates into many, many wins for Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
- Anthony Anderson, black-ish
- Bill Hader, Barry
- Don Cheadle, Black Monday
- Eugene Levy, Schitt’s Creek
- Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method
- Ted Danson, The Good Place
Bill Hader, going back-to-back in a deserved walk. Next!
- Christina Applegate, Dead to Me
- Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
- Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll
- Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag
Can Louis-Dreyfus go a perfect SEVEN-FOR-SEVEN for Selina Meyer? Again, it’s the safe choice, especially if you expect Phoebe Waller-Bridge to pick up wins elsewhere, and take into account voters’ affection for JLD post-cancer recovery. There’s a dark horse here, though, and her name is Natasha Lyonne.
COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR
- Alan Arkin, The Kominsky Method
- Anthony Carrigan, Barry
- Tony Hale, Veep
- Stephen Root, Barry
- Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Henry Winkler, Barry
I love that Anthony Carrigan is here, though he doesn’t have a chance of winning. On the other hand, I really don’t understand the staying power of The Kominsky Method — where’s The Good Place’s Manny Jacinto? Fleabag’s Andrew Scott??? Anyway, as for actual predictions… Winkler won last year, so I’m going with Tony Shalhoub, who has some especially meaty material to work with this season (and I don’t just mean his bathing suit). Lurking: Tony Hale, who could ride a final Veep wave for his character’s poignant conclusion.
COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Anna Chlumsky, Veep
- Sian Clifford, Fleabag
- Olivia Colman, Fleabag
- Betty Gilpin, GLOW
- Sarah Goldberg, Barry
- Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
It’s a shame that even in a category with a whopping eight nominees the brilliant D’Arcy Carden missed out, as well as Betty Gilpin being the only nominee the Academy could muster for GLOW. You have to consider Borstein a threat to repeat, or Emmy voters could hop on board the Olivia “Oscar Winner” Colman train — but my personal pick would be Sarah Goldberg, whose monologue in Barry’s seventh episode was immediately iconic.
- Barry, “ronny/lily,” Alec Berg & Bill Hader
- Fleabag, “Episode 1,” Phoebe Waller-Bridge
- PEN15, “Anna Ishii-Peters,” Maya Erskine, Anna Konkle, & Stacy Osei-Kuffour
- Russian Doll, “Nothing in This World is Easy,” Leslye Headland, Natasha Lyonne, & Amy Poheler
- Russian Doll, “A Warm Body”, Allison Silverman
- The Good Place, “Janet(s),” Josh Siegal & Dylan Morgan
- Veep, “Veep,” David Mandel
The deepest category of the night, but not the hardest to predict. With my fondest regards to Russian Doll, “Janet(s)” and the rest, you can go ahead and engrave Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s award now. Even if Fleabag misses on everything else, this is the one that matters.
- Barry, “The Audition,” Alec Berg
- Barry, “ronny/lily,” Bill Hader
- Fleabag, “Episode 1,” Harry Bradbeer
- The Big Bang Theory, “Stockholm Syndrome,” Mark Cendrowski
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, “All Alone,” Amy Sherman-Palladino
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, “We’re Going to the Catskills!”, Daniel Palladino
Most of my predictions in this section hinge on the rapid decline of Mrs. Maisel’s fortunes, so don’t be shocked if I’m dead wrong and the Palladinos march back to the stage. Instead, though, I’m going to predict the clear Correct Choice: Barry’s “ronny/lily.” Who’s going to have more awards at the end of the night: Hader, or PWB?